Fergie Fosters England ambition for keeper
Sir Alex Ferguson believes Ben Foster can become England's first-choice goalkeeper now he has fully recovered from a knee operation.
Wednesday, 23 July 2008
Fergie Fosters England ambition for keeper
Fergie Fosters England ambition for keeper
Sir Alex Ferguson believes Ben Foster can become England's first-choice goalkeeper now he has fully recovered from a knee operation.
Sir Alex Ferguson believes Ben Foster can become England's first-choice goalkeeper now he has fully recovered from a knee operation.
Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien is hopeful striker Didier Drogba will follow his lead and agree a new contact at Stamford Bridge.
Ghana international Essien agreed a five-year contract on Tuesday ahead of Chelsea's opening pre-season match in China on Wednesday, while Ivory Coast frontman Drogba remained in London to recover from a persistent knee injury.
"Hopefully things will work out for Didier because we need him to stay," said Essien. "If he can make up his mind it will be good for us. He knows what he wants so it is up to him."
Essien, who arrived from Lyon in 2005, will remain at Stamford Bridge until 2013 and follows quickly in the footsteps of full-back Wayne Bridge and goalkeeper Petr Cech in agreeing new contracts with the London club.
He has so far made 143 appearances for the Blues, scoring on 14 occasions, while also winning the Premier League title in his first season.
"I am really pleased to sign a new contract with Chelsea," added the 25-year-old. "I came here to stay longer, I like the team and I love the fans and I think we have got a great squad. I did not consider any other options, I love playing for Chelsea."
And having committed his future to the club shortly after arriving in China ahead of Wednesday's meeting with Chinese Super League side Guangzhou Pharmaceutical, Essien hopes the trip will be the start of a bright future for last season's Barclays Premier League and Champions League runners-up under new coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.
The former Portugal coach took over from Avram Grant following Euro 2008 and is already attempting to make his mark on the squad after speaking of building a new philosophy, and was seen taking an active part in training at Guangzhou's Olympic Stadium on Tuesday.
"We have one of the best coaches in the world," said Essien. "He has a different way of working so hopefully things will work for us."
Ghana international Essien agreed a five-year contract on Tuesday ahead of Chelsea's opening pre-season match in China on Wednesday, while Ivory Coast frontman Drogba remained in London to recover from a persistent knee injury.
"Hopefully things will work out for Didier because we need him to stay," said Essien. "If he can make up his mind it will be good for us. He knows what he wants so it is up to him."
Essien, who arrived from Lyon in 2005, will remain at Stamford Bridge until 2013 and follows quickly in the footsteps of full-back Wayne Bridge and goalkeeper Petr Cech in agreeing new contracts with the London club.
He has so far made 143 appearances for the Blues, scoring on 14 occasions, while also winning the Premier League title in his first season.
"I am really pleased to sign a new contract with Chelsea," added the 25-year-old. "I came here to stay longer, I like the team and I love the fans and I think we have got a great squad. I did not consider any other options, I love playing for Chelsea."
And having committed his future to the club shortly after arriving in China ahead of Wednesday's meeting with Chinese Super League side Guangzhou Pharmaceutical, Essien hopes the trip will be the start of a bright future for last season's Barclays Premier League and Champions League runners-up under new coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.
The former Portugal coach took over from Avram Grant following Euro 2008 and is already attempting to make his mark on the squad after speaking of building a new philosophy, and was seen taking an active part in training at Guangzhou's Olympic Stadium on Tuesday.
"We have one of the best coaches in the world," said Essien. "He has a different way of working so hopefully things will work for us."
Monday, 21 July 2008
THESE girls are bi-keen-i to break a record...
THESE girls are bi-keen-i to break a record...
More than 300 women braved the unpredictable British summer weather today as they attempted to break a world record for the most bikini-clad women ever photographed together.
But, despite 320 women stripping down to their swimwear on Redcar beach, in Cleveland, the effort was not enough to get a place in the record books.
The fundraising event, organised by the Middlesbrough Erimus Rotary Club, failed to beat the current Guinness World Record, set in September last year on Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, when 1,010 women posed together in their bikinis.
However, it is still expected that the record attempt will have raised thousands of pounds for the Great North Air Ambulance Service, through £5 entry fees and sponsorship.
More than 300 women braved the unpredictable British summer weather today as they attempted to break a world record for the most bikini-clad women ever photographed together.
But, despite 320 women stripping down to their swimwear on Redcar beach, in Cleveland, the effort was not enough to get a place in the record books.
The fundraising event, organised by the Middlesbrough Erimus Rotary Club, failed to beat the current Guinness World Record, set in September last year on Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, when 1,010 women posed together in their bikinis.
However, it is still expected that the record attempt will have raised thousands of pounds for the Great North Air Ambulance Service, through £5 entry fees and sponsorship.
Sunday, 20 July 2008
McFLY are locked in a battle
McFLY are locked in a battle for No1 in the singles chart this weekend – thanks to a sneaky sales ploy.
The lads are desperate for a chart-topper with One For The Radio after ditching major label Island to set up Super Records.
And in an attempt to snatch the top spot, they have come up with a plan which could TRIPLE their sales.
While TOM FLETCHER, DANNY JONES, DOUGIE POYNTER and HARRY JUDD haven’t broken any chart rules, it’s not really in the spirit of a fair chart fight.
It works like this.
The lads have produced three CD singles of the track. Each features different exclusive material, meaning die-hard fans will want to get their hands on all three versions.
Through deals on their website and in some High Street stores, the three CDs are available for a single price — HMV shoppers can snap up the full set for a bargain £4.
But that purchase would count as three separate sales, as each CD is registered separately with The Official UK Charts Company.
So that’s three prized ticks in the chart run-down box instead of just one.
It’s a canny marketing move — and one that has been used by other acts in the past.
But it has infuriated current chart-topper DIZZEE RASCAL. His joint effort with CALVIN HARRIS, Dance Wiv Me, is on the brink of being ousted from top spot.
The lads are desperate for a chart-topper with One For The Radio after ditching major label Island to set up Super Records.
And in an attempt to snatch the top spot, they have come up with a plan which could TRIPLE their sales.
While TOM FLETCHER, DANNY JONES, DOUGIE POYNTER and HARRY JUDD haven’t broken any chart rules, it’s not really in the spirit of a fair chart fight.
It works like this.
The lads have produced three CD singles of the track. Each features different exclusive material, meaning die-hard fans will want to get their hands on all three versions.
Through deals on their website and in some High Street stores, the three CDs are available for a single price — HMV shoppers can snap up the full set for a bargain £4.
But that purchase would count as three separate sales, as each CD is registered separately with The Official UK Charts Company.
So that’s three prized ticks in the chart run-down box instead of just one.
It’s a canny marketing move — and one that has been used by other acts in the past.
But it has infuriated current chart-topper DIZZEE RASCAL. His joint effort with CALVIN HARRIS, Dance Wiv Me, is on the brink of being ousted from top spot.
Saturday, 19 July 2008
ARSENE WENGER has blamed Arsenal’s failure to win a trophy last season on Lady Luck.
ARSENE WENGER has blamed Arsenal’s failure to win a trophy last season on Lady Luck.
The griping Gunners boss claims the 2007-08 campaign was by far the “unluckiest” of all his 12 seasons in charge in north London.
Wenger’s men were third in the Premier League and reached the Champions League last eight.
But the Frenchman claims that his team’s dreams were scuppered by injuries to many of their key players and by poor refereeing decisions.
Asked if last season was his unluckiest at Arsenal, Wenger replied: “It was by far — with the decisions and injuries.
''At some stages you could not believe how bad it was. But you have to deal with that.”
Wenger’s side kick off their pre-season today at near neighbours Barnet.
The griping Gunners boss claims the 2007-08 campaign was by far the “unluckiest” of all his 12 seasons in charge in north London.
Wenger’s men were third in the Premier League and reached the Champions League last eight.
But the Frenchman claims that his team’s dreams were scuppered by injuries to many of their key players and by poor refereeing decisions.
Asked if last season was his unluckiest at Arsenal, Wenger replied: “It was by far — with the decisions and injuries.
''At some stages you could not believe how bad it was. But you have to deal with that.”
Wenger’s side kick off their pre-season today at near neighbours Barnet.
Thursday, 17 July 2008
North London drug smuggle teens to be freed from a Ghanaian prison today
Two British teenagers jailed in Ghana for drug-smuggling are due to be freed today after spending a year behind bars.
Yasemin Vatansever and Yatunde Diya, both 17 and from north London, were given 12-month sentences by a court in Accra after their arrests last July for drug-smuggling.
According to the legal charity Fair Trials International, which is supporting the pair, they expect to be released today and hope to return home to the UK by the end of the month.
The girls had hoped to be released in April as the Ghanaian prison authorities have the discretion to take three months off a 12-month sentence.
But only a few days before they had hoped to walk free, they were told they would serve their sentences in full.
The pair were arrested on July 2 at Kotoka Airport in the Ghanaian capital, Accra.
Some 13lb (6kg) of cocaine - said to have a street value of about £300,000 - was found in two laptop computer bags in their luggage.
Yasemin Vatansever and Yatunde Diya, both 17 and from north London, were given 12-month sentences by a court in Accra after their arrests last July for drug-smuggling.
According to the legal charity Fair Trials International, which is supporting the pair, they expect to be released today and hope to return home to the UK by the end of the month.
The girls had hoped to be released in April as the Ghanaian prison authorities have the discretion to take three months off a 12-month sentence.
But only a few days before they had hoped to walk free, they were told they would serve their sentences in full.
The pair were arrested on July 2 at Kotoka Airport in the Ghanaian capital, Accra.
Some 13lb (6kg) of cocaine - said to have a street value of about £300,000 - was found in two laptop computer bags in their luggage.
Wednesday, 16 July 2008
Real star: We don't want Ronaldo at club

Real Madrid midfielder Wesley Sneijder admits there could be problems in the Bernabeu dressing room if Cristiano Ronaldo joins the club on a salary much greater than those of his new team-mates.
The Portuguese star has been tracked by Real all summer, although Manchester United are adamant they are not prepared to sell the man whose goals helped them to Barclays Premier League and Champions League glory last season.
It would take a world record transfer fee and probably wages to match to prise Ronaldo away from United, and Dutch ace Sneijder warned Real's bosses to bear in mind the existing squad if and when they strike a deal.
Spotted: rapper Ice Cube in Sainsbury's

Even the coolest, hardest of rappers go food shopping and it would seem Sainsbury’s is the supermarket of choice for Ice Cube.
The hip hop star, whose real name is O’Shea Jackson, was spotted stocking up on groceries with his entourage in London’s Mayfair branch.
Technorati Tags: Ice Cube, London, Mayfair, Sainsbury's
Cristiano Ronaldo shows red card to sexy Nereida Gallardo because of her sexy past

Cristiano Ronaldo has dumped his model girlfriend because he is sick of her hitting the headlines over her saucy past.
The 23-year-old striker has given busty beauty Nereida Gallardo the red card after she confessed to a fling with Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos.
Despite the pair having recently been photographed all over each other on a romantic holiday the footballer has decided to call time on the relationship.
The split follows news that the soccer star could be making a multi-million pound move from Manchester United to Real Madrid - prompting speculation that he did not fancy facing Ramos in the dressing room if he and the model were still an item.
But 24-year-old Nereida, who is still wearing a diamond ring from Ronaldo, has denied they have broken up.
Speaking yesterday near her home in Majorca, she said: “I spoke to him today, like always. We are together. He told me he loves me and I him.”
However a source close to the footy star said: “Details of the past relationships became known to Cristiano which he hadn’t known before and he was unhappy.
“He had also become bored of the relationship. He’s a young man and felt it was the right time.”
It is understood Ronaldo, who has previously dated actress Gemma Atkinson, broke up with the model before an operation on his injured right ankle last week.
He is scheduled back at Old Trafford in three weeks time following the first part of his rehabilitation stage after the surgery in Portugal.
Tuesday, 15 July 2008
Mass mooning banned after 8,000 people show up to flash their bums

A mass mooning even was dispersed by police after 8,000 people showed up to flash their bums at passing trains.
The annual Mooning Amtrak event in the California town of Laguna Niguel was shut down for the first time in its 29-year-history after complaints that people were flashing more than just their bottoms.
Police spokesman Jim Amormino said the authorities were forced to cancel the event after deeming it out of control when female mooners began lifting up their t-shirts and other participants started stripping naked.
Begun after a pub dare back in 1979 when a drinker at nearby Mugs Away Saloon said he would buy all his friends a drink if they ran outside and 'greeted' a passing train, it is now so famous it even has its own website.
Held on the second Saturday in July, the event has gained more and more participants each year.
The annual Mooning Amtrak event in the California town of Laguna Niguel was shut down for the first time in its 29-year-history after complaints that people were flashing more than just their bottoms.
Police spokesman Jim Amormino said the authorities were forced to cancel the event after deeming it out of control when female mooners began lifting up their t-shirts and other participants started stripping naked.
Begun after a pub dare back in 1979 when a drinker at nearby Mugs Away Saloon said he would buy all his friends a drink if they ran outside and 'greeted' a passing train, it is now so famous it even has its own website.
Held on the second Saturday in July, the event has gained more and more participants each year.
Meet Britain's youngest breakdance champion

Karam Singh is only ten - but he can 'commit suicide' with the best of them.
In fact, in a crew-versus-crew battle, this baby b-boy may just break you.
Which explains why he has just become the youngest person to ever win a British breakdancing title.
Karam and his Trinity Warriors power-moved seven other crews off the floor at the Sony Ericsson B-Boy Championship.
The eight-piece will now represent Britain at the world championships in October, where they will face the best of America, Japan and Russia.
Sunday, 13 July 2008
Russell Brand really is in love!
We never thought we'd see the day but comic lothario Russell Brand really does seem to be head over heels in love with girlfriend Teresa Palmer.
The couple were like a pair of loved up school kids as they locked lips and couldn't keep their hands off each other at the Keep a Child Alive Black Ball in London.
It seems like he has put his wild days behind him after all. But we can't quite decide whether Aussie actress Teresa is lucky or not.
We never thought we'd see the day but comic lothario Russell Brand really does seem to be head over heels in love with girlfriend Teresa Palmer.
The couple were like a pair of loved up school kids as they locked lips and couldn't keep their hands off each other at the Keep a Child Alive Black Ball in London.
It seems like he has put his wild days behind him after all. But we can't quite decide whether Aussie actress Teresa is lucky or not.
Subscribe to:
Comments (Atom)
